Saturday, October 16, 2010

Life ain't always beautiful....but it's a beautiful ride!!

Have you heard that song?? It really sums it up!! Many thanks to everyone for all of the kind words and the virtual shoulder to cry on.  I'm keepin my head up and each day that passes, we are a day closer to everything being back to normal :)  Ok, normal might be a stretch.......lol...but you get the idea :) 

I got LOTS of crafty stuff done today!!! I just sat here with the kids watching a football game and making halloween flowers......lol.  Yeah, flowers are a bit odd for halloween but I had some orange buttons and black punched flowers. So I layered and sewed and made a bunch...they are actually quite cute......I guess I will use them for cards or something....who knows......lol.  I still contend that I am not a card maker but I jumped right into the fire today and did a few card challenges.  GO ME!!!  They are actually really fun to put together and easier to do while watching tv or sitting on the couch.  When I first started blogging card making challenges were the first ones I attempted.  It started as a way to use up the scrap products I had bought years ago but never used.....I hate throwing anything away!!! And it kinda escalated........and here I be!! LOL.  I have even started buying stamps.....so I guess I am gonna work at becoming a "real" card maker......lol.

First I have some pix to share.......Brandon had an appointement the other day with the ENT......he is going to be having surgery on Nov 4 to have tubes put in his ears and ahve his adenoids taken out......he's 10 so he's a big boy BUT he has never been thru anything like this before and he is REALLY scared and nervous.  And having brothers that tell you they drill this big hole in your head doesn't help matters much.......punks!!  But we managed to amuse ourselves while waiting on the dr......see??
Excuse the quality....this was taken with my cell phone......this is what I get when I tell him to say CHEEEEEEEEEEEZE!!!! Lovely :)

The Dr is located in the hospital and they have this AMAZING tree up......yeah it's a little early for Christmas BUT this is the Breast Cancer Survivors Tree......all white and pink.....I know the photo doesn't do it justice!

All of the ornaments are silver balls and are hand painted by area breast cancer survivors or in memory of those who bravely fought the disease but aren't with us any more.  Some just have a few words painted on them and some are really elaborate designs.......it really is quite a sight :)

And I have a  photo of Jesse that I took that I just LOVEEEEEEE that I wanna share. 


He had help getting in the tree......lol.  He looks so grown up!!! And so serious!!! I have several more I took at the same time but the others are turning up upside down when I try to post them and I dunno how to flip em......and this is a blog post not yoga.....so I won't ask you to bend like a pretzel just to see a photo of one of my kids.....lol.

Ok.......on to the challenges!!!

First up   I found this sketch at Get Sketchy


Being a beginner it looked like something I could handle.....lol.  I decided to play on the grid theme and this is what I got...


Didn't it turn out cute??? The base if kraft...its kinda hard to tell that in the photo.  The tree is the flip side of the printed paper you see....its from Fancy Pants Designs and called Holly Jolly.  I traced the tree from a cookie cutter......LOL.  Hey....you do whatcha gotta do!!!:):)  I don't have a die cutting machine and the cookie cutter was just 50 cents at Hobby Lobby......LOL.  Yayyyyy for frugal crafting!!!! I inked all of the edges up and it really does give it a little pop even tho you can't tell it here.  And used one of my new stamps!!! It's from Stampabilities.  Buttosn from my stash and they match some of the color in the pattern of the paper. And that jute I just love!!!! Got TONS of it at Big Lots in the hardware dept........less than 2 bucks!!!
  
Also for If The Shoe Fits Scrap It (I just love the name of thier blog!!!!) The challenge is to make something for a Holiday....any Holiday :)
Next up I used this sketch from My Sketch World
And it dawned on me to totally grab my Cosmo Cricket Jolly By Golly and use that pink curvy paper......might as well make a card with it cuz I will never use it for scrapping......lol. But it turned out cute as well...even tho it's pink :)
Is that not sweet????? I didn't ahve a big snowflake so I just used a doily because it has that same lacy appearance of a snowflake :) Cardstock is bazzill, the little pink felt flower is Making Memories sewn on with a tiny button.  the gold string holding the doily like a Christmas ornament is just some packaging from last Christmas that I couldn't bare to toss out :)

I'm feeling brave so I am tossing my hat into the ring with this one over at A Spoon Full Of Sugar where the challenge is Winter Wonderland.

It doesn't look like I accomplished much but you will be seeing some of my layouts in the upcoming weeks :)  As always thanks for looking :)

T

6 comments:

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

They are both very pretty! Especially the doily christmas ornament!

~Christina~ said...

Not a cardmaker? Shut the front door...these are friggin AWESOME!!!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

6 degrees to Brookie... she is having her next laser surgery is also on November 4th :) I will be thinking of your baby on that day too!! I love love love love the photos...that tree is AMAZING!! And your cards??!!??!! WOW WOW WOW! GORGEOUS! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Denise said...

Fabulous card girl!!! You might be a newbie to cards but you sure as heck can't tell!!! I love your Christmas tree :))) Can't wait to see the layouts too :)))

Kelly Massman said...

Best of luck with the surgery and AWESOME cards! :-)

Tracey said...

both are very cute! great job adapting the sketches ;) thanks for joining us at If the Shoe fits...SCRAP IT!