Thursday, June 23, 2011

BOOM! BOOM! Out went the lights!!!

Anyone know that OLDDDDD song??? :)

OMGosh....what a couple of days it has been!  Ya know, I feel like I lead the most boring life but yet it seems like there is ALWAYS something going on...how can this be??

We had a terrible storm roll thru our area on Tuesday night.....it had looked like rain a big part of the day and I finally got off my big ol butt and photographed my LO for the Design Dollies Sketch challenge for this week....so if you make it thru this LONGGGGG post you will see a layout I promise!  Can't promise it's actually worth waiting for......so proceed at your own risk....I know some of you enjoy my babbling :)

So no sooner than I got inside the rain started.  Not too awful bad at first, summertime in the south brings LOTS of pop up thunderboomers due to our outlandish humidity levels.  Next thing you know we are looking at 70 MPH winds and looking outside the window I begin to see bits and pieces of our roof shingles flying past the patio.  Not good.......we really need a new roof anyway! Then at roughly 8:30 pm.......BOOM! BOOM!! Out went the lights! And they stayed out for 22 hours. UGH!!!  Now, it really wouldn't have been so bad if ALL of the boys had been at friends houses and spending the night or something.  I think I would have rather enjoyed a nice day of no power, no phone, no kids, and just snuggling with my honey and listening to the storm. Sounds sooo romantic huh?

Well, back to reality......  5 kids, no power, no xbox, computer, cartoons and too rainy to go outside.  Lots of whining, fighting, complaining.......fun times!  Brandon kept going on about wanting a generator.....Jacob couldn't charge his phone and was going thru texting withdrawl.......Steven kept going thru the house flipping on light switches, as tho that would magically restore power to all of Knoxville.....Bob was going thru FB withdrawl and tried to log on with his cell but guess what?? No cell service!!!!! PERFECT!!!

When dark came we lit every candle I own and sat in the living room and played scrabble, uno, trivial pursuit....you name it.  Then we moved on to charades, which was actually quite fun :)  So it wasn't too bad on Tuesday night....but Wednesday the novelty had worn off and everyone was getting on each others nerves.  Power was finally restored about 6:30 last night.  So many trees down everywhere that our electric company is having a really hard time and those poor souls are working around the clock.  As I type there are still about 50,000 in Knoxville without power.  Not a typo!  They are talking like it will be days before power is restored everywhere.  Oh, and it is supposed to rain again today!!!

I feel very blessed we were spared any real damage....just the stray shingles and a sheet of siding off the house.  People right down the street lost a car.....smashed......and there are several just in my general area. I am going to try to get a few photos later while I am out...I know you are excited :) LOL

Soooooo this week the Dollies have an awesome sketch challenge!  Sometimes the simple sketches are really the hardest for me.  I tend to overthink them....this one leaves lot of room to let your imagination take over.  I stuck pretty close to the sketch.....I am still trying to get my mojo functioning properly.....lol.  Here's the sketch....
And my take using some goodies from MME....Abbey Road I think.  And I know y'all already know this lil superstar wearing his big brother's shades :)
I'm totally smitten with banners right now so I had to add one :) I cheated and punched the triangles with my fiskars squeeze punch thingy.  The only downside to these things are they are large and hard to store......other than that I totally love them!!!  I hand stitched around the the banner with DMC floss, and behind the photo there is a transparency with the little trees on it from MME.  The alpha is some random thing I got at Big Lots and I sprayed the base with Lemon Zest tattered angels mist.....I just love this stuff!

I just got my hot little hands on EP's "Playground" a couple of days ago....the day the power went out in fact.....lol.  And I can't wait to tear into it!!!

I have PT today so I will check back in later!!! Thanks for visiting!

Oh and BTW......."Boom, Boom....Out Go the lights!" ......Pat Travers......enjoy :)

7 comments:

Kelly Massman said...

Sounds like you've had a string of bad luck. You know, if you give it enough time, they would start enjoying the non-electronic games!!! They're just junkies right now! :-)

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

LOL!! I'm with Kelly... they might have liked the non-plug-in games at some time! LOL!! I loveeeeeeeeeee the lo!! LOVING that photo and the banner! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Leigh Ann Baird said...

Yikes! No power for that long supremely sucks. In fact, I didn't know there was a power problem until my daughter and her friend tried to go to the mall and Sam's club with her friend's grandpa and couldn't get in because there was no power. We didn't get a storm like that here and I don't watch much TV so I was 100% clueless.

Love the layout! That sketch would be excellent for a card.

April said...

Great page! :) Thanks for your super sweet comment on my blog!!
- April

Teresa Jaye said...

ha ha - boom,boom, out go the lights - that's an oldie but goodie! That is a l-o-n-g time to be without power I can just imagine that you were all ready to strangle each other!
Your layout is so cute, and another cute picture! Lovin' the banner. I have a pile of glimmer mist and I never use it, every time I try it, I'm not happy with the result - but you sure know how to rock it, girl!

wendipooh13 said...

such a fun page and love that banner work on it!!! Thanks sooo much for playing along with the Dollies!!!

KarenB said...

That's a long time to go without power, especially with a house full of kids!! Love that LO - thanks so much for playing with my Dollies sketch xx