Monday, May 14, 2012

Lasting Memories Challenge #88...Something fishy.......

Happy Monday!!! I hope you all had a wonderful mothers day!! I certainly did!! Spoiled rotten!!! I didn't get that cleaning fairy I asked for, bu I did get a beautiful vase of roses.....a handmade bouquet from Jesse, as well as a cookbook his class made.....I gotta share that one with you in the next few days as it is just precious!! All the 2nd graders wrote recipes for their favorite dish that their moms make.......in their own words!!! So you can just imagine :)  I think I will stick to my own cooking methods thank you!!!

So hopefully you received some much deserved "me" time and are all refreshed, recharged and ready to tackle this weeks LMCB challenge #88!!!
Something Smells Fishy!!!!
No really......that's the name of this weeks challenge!! I didn't THINK that fishy smell was you!!! This is such a fun one!! And you don't have to scrap a fish....tho you certainly can if you wish!!! Perhaps you know someone who has a tendency to tell tall tales or stretch the truth......hello???? Our children do this ALL THE TIME!! And of course as moms we are born with that BS radar ya know!!!........Maybe you have fond memories of fishing trips as a child, have been deep see fishing......Lots of ways to read into this one so I am really looking forward to seeing everyone's take on the challenge!

And of course, should you need a little extra push or just want a neat sketch to play along with, here is a great one from Pagemaps!  It's not required to use this sketch to play along...but sould ya wanna....here it is!!!
LOVE IT!!!

And.......if you play along this week we have an awesome prize up for grabs........check it out!!!
Does this not rock?????? 
My DT sistah Kimberly is generously offering this Cricut Home Accents cartridge to the lucky winner!!! Ohhhhh yeah!!! Told ya it rocked!!!! And so does Kimberly :) Check out her take on the challenge and thank her for her kindness!! She's just a doll......seriously!! And she didn't pay me to say that......lol.

OK!!  On to my layout and take on Challenge 88!
I chose to do a layout of my Daddy.  He has been gone several years now, but there isn't a summer that goes by that I don't think of him and our fishing trips when i was a child.  For the most part I just got on his nerves I think.....lol.  I would wander around the lake, visit people, hunt for bait, play in the woods and creek and pretend I was a world famous explorer...........but he never once complained.  Other than the occasional "Shhhhhhhhhhh the fish can hear you!!!" LOL....He was a hardcore fisherman.......every day rian or shine......we'd actually go and catch our own minnows and crawdads and freeze them....make up these stinky dough ball things with gaines burger dog food and Limburger cheese......YUCK!!! And he would sit it  one of his "bait buckets" in the back of his pickup....so by the time he decided to use it it was bound to be good and stinky.  And apparently catfish love stinky stuff......lol.  I have fond memories of these days.  And  am one of the few grls I know who doesn't freak out cleaning a fish or baiting my own hook.  Thank you for that Daddy!!! And whern I first heard that song by Trace Adkins "She thinks we're just fishin" OMG..........I cried like a baby!!!  I was gonna go that route with my layout but I actually had a difficult time with this one because I didn't really have anything I thought would work well product wise....so I winged it.  I'm not totally happy with the layout......but if it doesn't grow on me I will redo it eventually :)
Forgive the crappy photo....yet another rainy day in east Tennessee :(

The photo is one of those super old Poloroid Land Photos......I didn't even mat it.....just left as it was and  inked up my Thickers to try to give them some age. 

 My title and journaling comes from an old sign or plaque my Daddy had in our living room.  It read "Early To bed, Early To Rise, Fish Like Hell, And make Up Lies."  

Spoken like a true fisherman huh? lol.

Like I said, nothing I had seemed to really :work" so I just improvised.  Papers and border stickers are Crate papers Toy Box, Alphas are Thickers and My Little Shoebox,  The fishies and dimensional bits are from Remarks....I was desperate to tie this all in together......lol.  And of course some bakery twine from my stash :)

I hope you will play along with us this week!!! Looking forward to seeing all of those fishy creations :)

Tina

12 comments:

Michelle (scrappinforkenzie) said...

I love the rustic feel of this and your title and saying is sooo funny :)

Julie said...

Ohhh how I have missed your posts...and love this layout and your title!!

Suzanne cricutcraftingrammyblogspot.com said...

Love the layout, the title and the story about your dad. My grandpa was a farmer and he used to say this to us all the time. I love Crate paper and the fish line and little fish are so cute.

Michele said...

Ha Ha! What a great memory Tina!! I love that little quote at the bottom. Lies?? Noooooo ... never!!! :-)
Super creative title on this one too!
Go Tina!!!

Haven_mom4 said...

Awesome quote. It really captures the essences of the fishy them. Cute fish too

Kimberly said...

love your story behind the LO and your your LO is great as well!! I have thought about doing some of the Polaroids as well but didn't know hhow to do it... did you cut the bottom??? love the saying.... I hadn't heard that one - ohhh and thanks for saying that nice stuff about me... Mawhhhh

Karen Wilson said...

Girl, it's so good to have you back! I missed your posts to!! Love your LO this week!! What a great story and memory to have. Your page is perfect I think anyway :)

karenw said...

So glad you're back!! Sounds like a lovely mother's day - you desrve it!
Love this Lo, great story, getting up early is why I will never be a serious fisherman... Maybe I can just work with the ' make up lies' bit.

Think I may need to have a go at this one xx

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Glad to have you back!!! Love love love your lo!!! LOVING the Crate checkered paper and the little fish!!!

Elizabeth said...

Love the layout and the use of the saying! What a great quote for a layout!. Welcome back, I've missed you:)

glassgraffitix2 said...

Love your LO! This background paper was perfect for your terrific LO!

Kelly Massman said...

Great layout! Nice to see you blog posting again!