Sunday, December 8, 2013

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Hello and Happy Sunday!

I do hope the weekend has been a good one for you and yours! And I hope you are all getting a lot closer to getting your Christmas cards and gifts made.....I always wait til the last minute and am stressing big time. This year I decided I stress enough every day of the year and am trying desperately to enjoy the holidays with minimal drama and last minute scrambling!  I'm still making cards and gifts, but I have decided when I get sick of the creative process I'm done....I have a box of store bought cards ready and waiting....no one will die if I don't create a handmade card, and the teachers won't think less of me or my child if they don't receive an awesomely crafted handmade gift. Sometimes that's a hard thing for us to remember!

However, today I do have a handmade gift to share with you :) It started as an experiment actually.....ev eryone has seen the paper cone wreaths by now I'm sure. They look really complex but I think they are beautiful and I wanted one....so I sat down and realized it was easier than I thought and this little beauty came together in less than an hour total. 
I had all of this stuff on hand already so the cost was zero! Just a little free time! It came together beautifully and its a lot easier than it looks.

1. Grab a double sided sheet of 12x12 scrapbook paper and cut into 3x3 inch squares. Or whatever size you want. You could go super huge with this!!
2. Roll into cones. I used hot glue to adhere them
3. grab a 4 inch circle of cardboard or heavy cardstock to use for your base. I used a coaster from a pack from Hobby Lobby last year that I had plans to make a mini with. 
4. Start gluing them down! You should have 16 cones. Start at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions and go from there filling in as you go.
5. Find something cute to use to cover your center. 

You could call it done at this point but I added tulle under the label and some curly ribbon. Decided it needed some sparkle and used up some bling I had and while cleaning my mess I found the two exra snowflakes from another project and just tacked them on as well. Added a hanging ribbon and a pretty bow and tada!!!

I used a sheet of Christmas paper from Reminisce, the "believe" bit was from a $2 tag making kit from Making Memories, I think!! I know I got it at Big Lots....lol. The little pressie sticker is from Imaginisce and everything else is just stash stuff.

Jesse saw it and fell in love with it and wanted to gift it to his teacher. That's how I judge my crafty attempts....if he tries to give it away its good.....lol.

Then of course the search was on for a box for it......I found one from last years mail that I had kept for some odd reason....
And of course we had to cover the "ugly" up. So I dug out my Peppermint Collection from Crate Paper and did the best I could....
And I added bits from Imaginisce and Reminisce.

The finished wreath is probably about 5 1/2 inches, maybe 6.......not huge at all. Like I said, you can go as big as you like with it. It would make a nice tree topper too! I just placed  mine on the tree to catch a pretty photo to share with ya....
And I am working on several more of these for neighbors right now.....they are addictive!!!

Thanks for joining me today! I'm linking up with the following challenges and blogs....take a moment to visit them and check them all out!!

Totally Papercrafts Anything Christmassy but a card
A Gem Of A Challenge Anything goes
Anything But A card Anything but a card with a Christmas twist...Christmas projects!
Dream Valley Challenges Anything but a card
Pin and tack Arts and Crafts
Clear it Out Challenge Anything Goes
Shopping Our Stash Holiday or Winter
Paper Crafting Journey Christmas Time!






5 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Wow wow wow!! These are gorgeous!!!!! I loveeeeeee your cone wreath!!! AMAZING! I have YET to attempt one of those!!! LOL!!

Wendy Fraser said...

So beautiful, fab tutorial too, thanks for joining us at A Gem of a Challenge xx

Pat K said...

Wow, beautiful work. Thanks for playing along with us at TPC this week. Pat K xx

Alica Ziakova said...

so pretty! Love your projects! Wonderful festive ideas!

Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

Hugs, Alica ;)

Margaret said...

This is so pretty and I love that you even prettied up the box! I haven't tried one of these yet, but just might have to give it a go! Thanks so much for joining us at Anything But a Card!